Sunday, March 2, 2008

Best Breastfeeding Tips



I have just finished weaning my Dear Daughter, Kaelin. I nursed her for a year and loved every minute of it. I even went through a couple of weeks of "Pumping and Dumping" while I was taking unsafe meds for my blood clot. That was like pouring liquid gold down the drain. When I had to do this, my supply tended to dip a bit. I discovered a website, Daily Strength, that had a Breastfeeding Support Group online (they also have a DVT support group and a whole lot of other groups). In the BFing support group, lots of moms are concerned about their supply and having to supplement with formula. While I wanted to solely breastfeed, it was necessary to occasionally use formula. However, I do have some tips to help nursing moms maximize their supply.

The first tip is to keep yourself hydrated. Water is the best...sorry, Diet Coke doesn't give you the benefit you'll need! Keep your diet high in protein and iron...enjoy cheese and red meat while you can, girls! Wear your baby...keeping your baby close to you will cause your body to make more oxytocin (the breastfeeding hormone). You can get a sling or carrier at Heavenly Hold! You can also try pumping after you nurse. Pumping throughout the day will tell your body that the "baby" wants more milk. Try spending the day in bed with your baby doing nothing but nursing and do it with skin to skin contact (oxytocin, again). Lastly, a yummy way that my neighbor friend and I found to increase our supply, was to make Mama Jeeper's Lactation Bars. The brewer's yeast in them can help your supply. We found brewer's yeast at the local Whole Foods market, or online. Happy nursing!

No comments: