Thursday, March 20, 2008

There's No Place Like Home

With the United States getting "smaller and smaller," it seems like families are getting further and further away from each other. I moved to Georgia from California 7 years ago and met and married my husband here. However, I always pictured myself living and raising a family in my small hometown in Northern California.

I lived a block away from my Grandma and Grandpa and they were my home away from home. Whenever my mom was making something for dinner that I didn't like, I'd call Gram up and see what she was having (while getting the evil eye from my mom). I miss being in a small community where everyone knew and was friendly with each other. I would love my daughter to grow up having a close relationship with my Mom and Dad...hanging out in the evenings, sharing dinners, etc...maybe it'll happen someday! This is a picture of some of the folks from my hometown: Newman, California.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Yeah...I know what you mean! Families often just don't live nearby each other anymore. And to answer your question about when Tate started coloring, I let him color for the first time when he was around 15 months...but it probably kind of depends on the child too. :) I started once Tate was past the "putting EVERYTHING in his mouth" stage. Of course he has tasted the crayons...but at least he hasn't tried with that with the markers yet! :)