Thursday, April 17, 2008

Another Customer Service Experience


When we had a leaky diaper a few weeks ago, (well, not we, but Kaelin) I shared the positive customer service experience I had with Pampers.

Adrian and I bought Kaelin a wagon last Saturday from Toys R Us. We ended up having to make 3 trips back to the store because 2 of the boxes that we bought were missing parts. What a pain! When we went back, I asked to speak to the manager because I wanted to tell him what we'd had to do to get our wagon. Plus, no one had offered to go get them in the back of the store for us, no one even apologized. When I started to talk to the manager and I asked him if there was any way he could give us a discount (you know they run those coupons ALL the time!), he cut me off and said he couldn't do anything like that because he had "returns everyday." Well maybe you wouldn't have returns everyday if you had better service and products that were not broken in to and raided for parts!

When I worked in a service position, I was taught to ALWAYS apologize to try to get the customer calmer and to always at least LISTEN to what a customer had to say. People just want to be listened to.

I wasn't happy with the managers response, so I went onto the Toys R Us Inc website and wrote a letter. This is the letter I got back:

Ms. Stevens, I do apologize that you had two negative experiences in one of our
stores. I do understand the frustration of getting two incomplete boxes. I am sorry
that the store manager was rude and unprofessional.

I am sorry that I cannot give you a discount. I apologize for the inconvenience this
causes you.

If you have other questions Ms. Stevens, please call 1-800-869-7787.

Sincerely,

Toys "R" Us Guest Relations Team

Couldn't even give me a NAME?? Just "Guest Relations Team"? Alright, I'm done with my vent.
At least Kaelin loves the wagon!

7 comments:

Taylor said...

Just wanted to say thanks for the comment you left on my blog! =)

And shame on Toys R Us for their horrible customer service!

Missy said...

We had a HORRIBLE experience with Toys R Us a couple of years ago when we got Emmy her kitchen set. We couldn't find anyone to help us, nothing had a price on it, when I did finally flag someone down and drag them over to help me, he was very rude and acted like I was putting him out. Then we had to wait 45 minutes for someone to bring the set to the front of the store for us. No one was able to help us to the car (it was a big box) and no one said sorry or even thank you. I vowed to never shop their again, and I don't think that I have!
I am sorry to hear that you had a rough time, but I think that store has some serious customer service issues, so it is not just you!!!

Bella @ Lil Daisies said...

That is horrible --- and funny that they wouldn't leave a name in the letter. You would think being in the relations department that they would be a little more "relational" and personal by stating their name. Weird.

Thanks for visiting my blog too! See, I will be relational to you...I will even leave my name!
Hope your son enjoys his sandbox though!
Bella

Pam said...

My in-laws won't shop at Toys R Us anymore because they had a bad experience too. They also talked to the manager and had a bad experience- he would not give them a discount or even apologize. You would think a story that large and popular would have better customer service.

Andrea said...

Yeah, that is pretty awful customer service! Yikes...you think they could at LEAST be polite.

Amber said...

I guess I'm not along with the Toys R Us thing!

Dana said...

My Boss had a horrible experience with them!! They were soo rude!!