Monday, May 12, 2008

Day Care Disco


I'm a teacher. Most of you probably know that already. This year, I've been blessed to have my sister in law take care of Kaelin, and it has been WONDERFUL! Next year, my cousin has said she would keep Kaelin for 4 days a week and my husband would keep her on Fridays because he works from home. While we are sooo thankful for my cousin, she lives in the opposite direction of where we both work about 1/2 an hour. This would mean if I took Kaelin I would travel north for 30 minutes, drop her off and then travel south for about an hour each day...two times a day...same thing for my hubby...not very desirable especially with gas so high.

Now, we're discussing trying to get in on a nanny share with another teacher at my school (she lives near the school) for next year...this would really be great, but I also hate to not go with my cousin, who is now counting on Kaelin being with her and the extra $$...

We are trying to rent or sell our house and move closer to my cousin, but in this market...it's not been easy. What do y'all do for childcare, if you work outside the home?

6 comments:

Missy said...

well, I stay home now, but when my oldest was a baby, I worked full time, and she was in a day care center which happened to be right on my way to work. We loved that place, it was convenient, and reasonably priced in comparison to other day cares in the area. I am not sure if I would have been willing to drive way out of my way for daycare, unless maybe if it were free. :)
When we moved here, I chose not to go back to work - Emmy was about 10 months old. And I am still here.

Pam said...

I work outside the home as a teacher (as you know). I take my children to an in home day care. There are only 6 kids there so that makes it a bit better in my mind then a full blown center. It is on my way to work so it does add a few minutes to my travel time, but not much. Just 5-10 minutes. Nothing major. I don't know what I would do if I had to go out of my way...that would be hard.

Momma On The Go said...

I'm also a teacher but after my daughter was born I was lucky enough to find a part time teaching job. Anyway Madison was 8 months when I started back. Luckily my husband and I live next door to my parents so my mom would come over four mornings a week and take care of her. This year I cut down to 2 1/2 days a week and enrolled Madison into the preschool program at my school. I wasn't planning on going back this fall after the new baby was born but I was offered the same position starting in October for only 2 half days a week (yes it still counts as a full year towards my pension!). Once again Madiosn will go to school with me and the baby will now be home with my mom. I really couldn't ask for a better situation. I wish everyone could have it so easy!

Andrea said...

I stay at home with Tate and plan on being at home with him for a looong time :), so I guess i don't really have any advice for you...good luck with your decisions though!

Mommy Mechanics said...

I stay home now too, but when I had my first one I found a great in home daycare right down the road from me, I was referred by a friend and she only had two others besides my son so he got lots of needed attention. It worked out great.

Amber said...

I want to be home with my DD!