Friday, May 9, 2008

My Food Saver Drama

I got a Food Saver (you know, the machine that you can use to freeze dry food that you prepare ahead of time) for Christmas from my parents. I was soooo excited!! I baked some bread and tried to suck all the air out (with the machine, not my mouth!) and seal the bag around it, but it didn't work. I spent some time on the phone with the service/troubleshooting department and they couldn't figure out what was wrong.

They told me to send it back to them and they wanted me to ship it...me...that means me pay to ship it! I said no way...this is a brand new Food Saver and I haven't even gotten to use it! So then they agreed to send me a prepaid shipping label.

I sent it back according the instructions and didn't hear anything for a month. Then I kind of forgot about it until last week (I know, ridiculous). I called the company and asked if my Food Saver was fixed and why I didn't have it. They told me that I was supposed to call them after I sent it to make sure they sent it back to me. Huh? This wasn't in the instructions. They told me that they would send it right out to me and I would get it within two weeks. OK. That's fine.

A week later I got a package from Food Saver. A very small package. They sent me a new Food Saver because they couldn't fix my old one, but this one was the "compact" version. I didn't have a compact version! I called them AGAIN, and told them this wasn't my Food Saver and I was upset now!

The lady was very nice and said she would send me out the Deluxe version which retails for $280 and was an upgrade from the one I had. I said thank you very much, that is very nice of you to do that. She also actually apologized...that's almost unheard of today in customer service!

So, I will be (probably) doing some cooking soon and using my new Food Saver to store the food in my freezer for quick and easy dinner nights!

12 comments:

tara said...

That reminds me . . . my food saver is currently sitting in my pantry b/c it doesn't seal anymore. I think it stopped sealing after I owned it for about a year and now it's just collecting dust. Wonder if they'd help me out too?

Momma On The Go said...

Hi! I noticed your comment about the Britax at New Mommy Rant 'cause I felt the same way so I figured I'ld check out your blog. Dealing with big companies can be soo frustrating. I actually registered for a Food Saver when I got married mostly 'cause my husband does alot of fishing and I wanted to try to keep fresh fish in the house year round. Someone bought me like a $100. worth of the bags at my shower but no one bought the actiual Food Saver. Who does that? Anyway good luck, I hope it works.

LaskiGal said...

After all you went through just to use your food saver . . . you deserve a deluxe model.

It is nice to hear that customer service can actually provide SERVICE once in awhile . . .

Pam said...

So glad that you actually got some good customer service after all that! Enjoy the deluxe model!

Andrea said...

Wow!! That is nice of them...most companies aren't very helpful now...but you deserve the deluxe model after all that! :)

PinksandBluesGirls said...

WOw... very impressive!! You go girl!!
Have a great Mother's Day!!
Best,
Audrey

Mommy Mechanics said...

Dealing with companies is such a pain in the butt! Nice to hear they actually apologized and upgraded thats awesome! Can't wait to hear how it works. I want one!

Pam said...

Happy Mother's Day!!

Adventures In Babywearing said...

Oh, what a hassle! But at least you get an upgrade I guess! Happy Mother's Day, too!

Steph

Amber said...

I can't wait to carve out some time to try it out!

Christine said...

Woo-hoo! That's good news! Can't complain now! :)

Lauren said...

Wow!! That's nice!! I also have very nice Food Saver vacuum packaging system...