Saturday, July 12, 2008

Babywearing With Special Needs

Let me first start off by saying that I do not have experience as a parent to a special needs child. I do have experience teaching them, but I claim no expertise.

I want to discuss how babywearing can benefit a special needs child. There are way too many different types of needs to discuss ranging from physical to mental and emotional. BUT, I believe that wearing babies and children with any kind of special needs can benefit not only the children, but the parents and wearers of these children as well.

I've written about the multitude of benefits that there are to babywearing. Just to mention a few (again) babies are more confident and sure of themselves, babies that are worn learn more, babies that are worn are smarter...the list goes on and on!

Babies that have special needs can benefit even MORE from being worn. There are so many different kinds of special needs, so I'll give a couple of examples.

Baby A is 11 mos old and lives in a foreign country in an orphanage. Baby A spends her days in a crib and doesn't interact with other babies or other adults except on a limited basis. Baby A needs to be "humanized." Baby A is being adopted by Family #1. Family #1 and Baby A can use babywearing to become bonded to each other more quickly. Baby A will learn to trust Family #1 and gain more confidence this way.

Baby B has Down Syndrome. She is slightly slower developmentally. Babywearing can help her with her motor skills and help her gain head control more quickly. Baby B will also benefit from babywearing because she will learn more easily. She will learn more easily because she is an active part of her mother and father's life. She is aparty to everything that goes on during their day and she listens to them speak to her and other adults. She is able to make eye contact with her mother and father more easily.

Baby K'tan is one baby carrier that claims to be especially suited to special needs children. The parents that created have experience with their own special needs children. Part of the profit also go to special needs children's charities. My shop, Heavenly Hold carries Baby K'tan as well as many other baby carriers.

You can also check out The Babywearer. It is an online forum with a ton of information and resources for babywearing and lots of information on special needs babywearing.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

I know! The benefits to babywearing are just endless, arn't they?!

Danielle said...

Did you mention you were going to start carrying sleepywrap? I want to get on for Tracy and baby Stella.

Suzie said...

I love wearing my little S but she is getting a little heavy Im such a wimp.

Adventures In Babywearing said...

I just got a Baby Ktan and can't wait to try it with the new baby. I will definitely remember to suggest this post next time someone asks me about special needs babywearing!

Steph