Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A Close Call....


Today I am truly thankful for my daughter's safety and health. I always am, but especially today. I am thankful for my Savior, family and happiness. Yesterday I was bumming because my DH has been working late (a lot) lately and this has made my days extra long with lots of driving to get Kaelin at my cousin's and such....and I was bummed because the LCD screen on my digital camera cracked and broke...but today...who cares about those things?

When I got home today, I parked the car in the garage and carried Kaelin and as much stuff as I could in the house. I left Kaelin in the house (as I always do) and went back out to make multiple more trips to get everything else. When I tried to come back in the through the garage door, I discovered the door to be locked....it took me about 10 seconds or maybe more to actually digest the fact that I was locked out and my toddler was inside...without me....all alone. I started to jet across the street to use the neighbor's phone, but I felt my phone in my pocket and frantically dialed Adrian at work. Surprisingly, he was very calm and helpful to me. I thought he would freak out and start out being upset at me, but he wasn't. He even tried to calm me down and instructed me to stay by the door and keep talking to Kaelin.

Kaelin stayed by the door and kept talking to me and she sounded fine except for a few times. A few times she began whimpering and I had to keep my voice from shaking. THANK Goodness Adrian happened to leave work "early" today and was already on the road...but in rush hour. He told me that he'd get home as soon as he could.

Kaelin had never locked a door before, but I had hope that maybe she could unlock it...although I thought it might be harder for her. I talked to her and asked her if she could help mommy and unlock the door. She repeated "help" and I could hear her fiddling with the door knob. After about a minute, she somehow unlocked the door! I flew into the house and snatched her...she was perfectly calm and happy to see me and shouted, "Hi!" like she does everytime I walk into the room.

Ironic thing is, Adrian and I had just had a conversation last week about me managning K when I have tons of things to bring inside. He said I need to always have my keys with me....this was said before Kaelin had ever done ANYTHING with the locks...today was the first time she even touched the locks. Today will also be the last time I go into the garage without a key, though.

7 comments:

Pierrette said...

Scary, I never though about this will always make sure my keys are in my pocket.

Andrea said...

Oh, that is scary...and they always seem to do/learn stuff like that when we're the least prepared! I'm so happy she was able to unlock the door for you though!

Dana said...

i think i was nervous for you!!! thank goodness everything worked out well!! And way to go Kaelin for unlocking the door!!

Danielle said...

scary...and I'm glad everything is ok. I neve know what to do with E...so I only shop two bags at a time. haha

Heather @ Not a DIY Life said...

so glad that everything turned out okay in this situation! Recently, my Ladybug has learned out to not only lock the screen door, but open it as well. She locked me out once, but thankfully Hubby was inside. but even scarier was that she opened the door and walked out onto the porch by herself. Hubby turned the corner to see her standing there waving at him! We'll be installing a latch on the door in a much higher position ASAP!

Lori said...

I'm so glad this story turned out so well! I will be taking my keys with me as well.

tara said...

Aaah . . . well you know my story about Ellie locking herself up in the car - I NEVER leave her alone w/ the keys now! And we have a spare house key hidden outside just in case!