Sunday, March 22, 2009

Coping with Stress...

So today I went grocery shopping at our Super Walmart. Of course I had little K with me. I HAVE to learn how to better handle her while out NOW, so I can manage when #2 arrives.

Kaelin does not just sit meekly in a grocery cart seat. She wants to walk, but then she gets very easily side tracked and stops or runs in the opposite direction of me. I am trying to get out my coupons, calculate deals and refer to my shopping list during this time. I locked her into one of the shopping carts that has two seats for two kids, but the Houdini got out! Walking again...I picked her up and carried her and pushed the cart for awhile, but that really winded me.

At one point in the frozen section, I almost succumbed to tears...yes, really....tears, over a shopping trip with my 2 year old, but I got a hold myself and found a baggie of Cheeze-Its in my purse! Yeah! That kept her entertaining and SEATED for about 10 minutes. Then we sang the ABC's while riding through the aisles for another 10 minutes.

I am fairly organized before I go grocery shopping, but I need to refine the process even more.

5 comments:

Tracy said...

Shopping with kiddos can be VERY stressfull. I rarely go to a store anymore with just the girls and myself. I usually wait 'til the evenings to go food shopping and if we dare to tackle the mall my mom is usually with us. Whenever I do get an insane urge to take them shopping it always ends with me sinking into the driver seat of the car completely exhausted. I hope you find a better way to manage than I have!

Danielle said...

My advice- don't shop with kids. If I go out with E it is just to pick up a few things. I think is is stresssful for her to see all those wonderful things and have to stay in the cart/stroller. I would rather a special trip with her where I had time for her to explore. I usually have my SIL watch her so I can go to the store. Or my husband or I go on the weekend or at night after bed time.

Missy said...

The good news is that it really will get easier. Pooky is very difficult to shop with right now as well, and I remember Emmy being the same way. Once she got closer to 3, I could reason with her more, and I would make her ride in the cart, especially after Pooky was born. Now at age 4, she is a perfect shopper (well, usually!).

Right now, I try to limit my shopping with Pooky. He does do better in one of those car shopping carts at the grocery store, especially if I strap him in. Don't stress too much, it will get better!

Lori said...

Yes, I am so distracted now with my grocery shopping. I forget ingredients. I keep a ton of snacks for my daughter to help.

Lucy said...

Stress management has always been a challenge for me. I have three kids and a career, and I was feeling really overwhelmed. I found a resource which helped me to manage stress in a well structured way. Every working mom should check this out.