Monday, June 22, 2009

Instilling Discipline

I am beginning to think that I need to instill more discipline in Kaelin. I was just going along thinking that she was so easy, so compliant and amenable...but at times, I see that changing....and this change isn't a good one...especially with a new baby coming soon.

This morning during our normal Monday morning grocery store jaunt, Kaelin needs to use the potty, then she doesn't, then she wants water, screams when she doesn't get it, then she does need to use the potty, screams when I try to put her in the cart. What gives? So I try to let her walk along side us as we shop. She dilly dallies and I try to give her some leeway, but it just gets ridiculous. I try to shop and carry her (I'm basically 9 mos preggo!). Then she wants back in the cart! Ugh! Can a mom get a break?

I need her to know when it's time to play and when it's time to get down to business. Many times, I've just told myself that an argument or a tantrum from her isn't worth it and I give in and now I think I'm starting to see the results. I'm praying for disciplinary wisdom from the Lord...

3 comments:

Danielle said...

Eliza has a strong mind and we battle it out daily. She head btted me twice when it was time for a nap the other day. I am pretty sure I will have my hands full when baby #2 arrives!

Missy said...

Not that this is any help, but I think this is the "worst" age - although I love seeing their little personalities coming out, and it is fun being able to actually play and do activities with them, these exact scenarios make it so tough to do anything! I can't remember exactly how old K is now, for us it got much better between 2 1/2 and 3...

That said, I am having similar thoughts of more discipline with Pooky. Being my "baby" at the moment, I know he gets away with way more than he should, but some days I am just too exhausted to deal with it... but it needs to be done! Good luck!

Lori said...

we have the same problem with walks around the block. they can take an hour. i'm fine with letting her explore, but she has to listen when it's time to go home!