Monday, August 3, 2009

Kiley's Birth Story







I had an emergency C-Section with Kaelin...she had a prolapsed cord. I had a really tough recovery from the surgery and was not excited about another C Section especially with a toddler to take care of at home!! Also, nine days after I had Kaelin, I got a DVT in my leg (Deep Vein Thrombosis--aka. blood clot). The recovery from that was about as bad as the C Section was!

I got OK'd to try a VBAC from my doctor and I was excited to try laboring again and have a (hopefully) easier recovery!

I thought for sure I would go into labor before my due date since Kaelin was early, but no, I did not. I had a C Section scheduled for my due date (July 9th) if I didn't go into labor.

The day before my due date I was really bummed but gave it over to the Lord with the help of my husband. However at around 1am I woke up with contractions! I waited before getting up to try to figure out what was going on and if they were sticking around. They were! 3-4 minutes apart! I was really excited. The doctor told me to come in and check in to the delivery floor! Yeah!

I was still only 1 cm dilated and no epidural was possible because I'd taken my shot of heparin (to prevent another blood clot) just a few hours earlier. Hubby told me to just try to get some sleep (yeah right!) but it was not do-able...I labored all night and then they checked me again in the morning...still only 1-1.5 cm! I was really discouraged after that awful night I'd had. at 10:30 am when I still hadn't progressed (and couldn't have potossin due to it being a VBAC), I decided to go ahead with the C Section.

The surgery was much different for me this time around since it was emergent. The dr thought that this baby (didn't know the gender at this point) would be as tiny as Kaelin was so he just used the same size incision, but she was bigger! I could hear him and the nurses referred to "her" so I knew it was a girl at that point! The dr. told me that there was NO WAY I would have delivered this little girl vaginally b/c she had one of her feet up by her ear and the other foot down...doing the splits! He had a hard time getting her out because of this!

Kiley Renae was born at 12:53 pm on July 9, 2009 and weighed 6 lbs. 12 oz. and was 19 inches long. She came out squalling and crying...which was different for me to hear because Kaelin was quiet! It was a wonderful experience this time and I experienced so much more JOY at Kiley's birth! I was so happy to be the mother to TWO girls now!

5 comments:

Danielle said...

Awe! What an amazing story and great pics too! You are truly blessed with those beautiful little girls.

tara said...

Thanks for the story my friend! I experienced much more joy at the birth of our 2nd too. Keep enjoying both those kiddos!

Missy said...

So happy your little one is here, and is doing well. Thank you for sharing her story!

Annie said...

It is so good to read another story like mine! I had an emergency C-Section with DD since she was breech. I tried for a VBAC with DS....water broke and after 36 hours was only at a 3 cm. I know too well the bummed feeling after really trying for a long time.

praise the Lord for such a great story and healthy children!

I found your blog from Diaperswappers - and glad I did :)

Wendy said...

Amber,
Thanks for sharing your story. Sorry I just got back to reading my blogs again.

Isn't it strange how the second C-section is easier to recover from than the first? I had a planned C the first time b/c she was breech and an emergency C last year. I dreaded recovery the second time-I can identify with your feelings so well. However, somehow it just wasn't as bad this time. Glad you're doing well and had a joyful experience. Enjoy the baby :)