Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Babywearing a Newborn Baby in a Baby Carrier

Moms ask: What is the best baby carrier for a newborn? There really isn't a simple answer. My answer usually is, bring your baby over to my home and try them all on for a test drive! BUT if that's not possible, I have a few answers. One great baby carrier for a newborn baby is the Freehand Mei Tai. I'm not a huge mei tai fan myself, BUT the Freehand is just shaped so well that it lends itself to carrying a newborn. The small body was made to wear a froggied (legs tucked underneath the body) baby! I wore my daughter in the Marie print and still do from time to time at 15 months. The Mei Tai can be worn on the front back or hip. But until your baby has good head control, it's perfect to snuggle them close on your front.
Next up is the Sleepy Wrap. I took my Boba Wrap to the hospital with me and wore DD2 in it as soon as I was physically able to get out of the bed. I wanted as much skin to skin contact with her as soon as I could possibly get it. I wanted the milk to start flowing!!! The Sleepy Wrap is a wonderful carrier for a newborn because it does a fantastic job of mimicking the womb (which as a new mother is one of your main jobs!). The Sleepy Wrap is made of a stretchy material (T shirt like) and wraps around your body. You can pop your baby in and out throughout the day in the cradle position or in the tummy to tummy position. I even nursed discreetly in it!
Last but certainly not least, is the bECO Butterfly II. When someone really wants a buckle carrier or a carrier that will last them all the way through toddlerhood (or in our case, preschoolhood), I will many times suggest the Butterfly. The Butterfly is soooo wonderful for newborns because it has a built in infant insert that allows the newborn baby to be up higher in the baby carrier. Once the baby reaches 15 lbs, the insert is no longer needed and can be removed and the baby carrier can be used all the way up until 45 lbs. The bECO Butterfly II also has a sleeping hood (that can be removed) for sleepy babies (and we all know that newborns are that!). The sleeping hood simply supports the baby's head while sleeping...wonderful!

6 comments:

Nicole Everitt said...

We've been using our My Blessed Baby Mei Tai from you, a Moby wrap, and another off-brand wrap on our newborn, and love them all. I do like the mei tai the most though; I feel like it supports him and me best.

Amber said...

Glad to hear it, Nicole!!!

Anonymous said...

What carrier do you recommend for a newborn in summer? We live on OK where it gets really hot!

Amber said...

Hi there! If it's super duper hot, you could get a mesh ring sling (I use mine for the pool) http://www.heavenlyhold.com/item_50/Water-Mesh-Ring-Sling--Royal.htm...or a Freehand Mei Tai would also be cool and allow for some air flow on the sides...plus they're super lightweight: http://www.heavenlyhold.com/category_68/Freehand-Mei-Tai.htm Lastly if you're not wanting a learning curve (mei tais and ring slings are known to have a bit of a learning curve) you can choose a super lightweight soft strucutured carrier (with buckles) like the Action Baby Carrier: http://www.heavenlyhold.com/category_32/Action-Baby-Carrier.htm and the ABC would last you all the way through 40 lbs...and is also great for back carries once your little one has good head control! Please feel free to email me if you have other questions! I"m happy to help! amber (at) heavenlyhold . com

xlpharmacy reviews said...

This is a very good product especially considering the low price. When compared to baby bjorn it seems more comfortable. The baby bjorn we borrowed from someone else was putting too much pressure on our shoulders (traps). This infantino is comfortable and feels nice

Elliott Broidy said...

I do so love this idea.